Directly reporting to the CEO and Board of Directors of SATSOL Limited (SATSOL) this position is responsible for the overall planning, organizing, and execution of all IT and IT-infrastructure engineering functions. This includes directing all IT/Engineering operations to meet customer requirements as well as the support and maintenance of existing applications and development of new technical solutions, business opportunities and infrastructure.
- The candidate must relocate to Honiara - Salomon Islands.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze complex business needs and recommend solutions to the CEO for approval.
- Execute and implement approved solutions.
- Participate in Senior Management and Executive meetings and contribute to the formation of the overall company strategy.
- Formulate Technical policies and strategies in line with SATSOL business plans annually.
- Develop and implement appropriate performance measures that support the company's strategic direction.
Management of Technical Strategy & Support:
- Develop network infrastructure and service coverage as required by the business.
- Coordinate annual formulation of capital budgets for procurement, construction, installation and commissioning of telecommunications infrastructure.
- Ensure that all capital and operating expenses do not exceed budgetary limits.
- Ensure consistency and maintainability of new and existing infrastructure by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards and procedures for implementing technical solutions.
- Ensure Network availability at any given period meets targeted levels.
- Ensure that Network performance statistics and analysis are available to understand network health, and implement corrective measures as required.
- Design and implement an effective and cost sensitive network equipment and software licensing/maintenance strategy.
- Maintain security of all data and systems and provide for reasonable data backups in the event of systems failures.
- Set standards for backup / recovery and documentation of essential network functions.
- Plan, review, and maintain all bandwidth and special access agreements with Tier 1-2 providers to ensure capacity meets requirements.
- Monitor system device capabilities and status.
- Participate in all hardware and software evaluations and maintain vendor contracts.
- Approve all business requirements prior to selecting and implementing technical solutions.
- Meet and collaborate with affiliate company teams, industry peers and organizations.
- Be seen as a technical expert /leader for company employees, clients, and the Solomon Islands Telecommunications industry.
- Client Management:
- Communicate effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions and strategies.
- Continually seek and identify ways to increase customer satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Ensure SATSOL consistently delivers superior technical solutions to clients.
- Represent the Technical Department at client or end user meetings when appropriate.
People & Performance Management:
- Create and enforce written policies and procedures regarding all IT-related operations.
- Develop a performance management framework (eg KPI’s, reporting standards) to ensure that the technical team is delivering against its performance indicators and service standards.
- Prepare and deliver performance evaluations, salary reviews, conduct interviews and perform other required supervisory/management functions in cooperation with the HR department.
- Undertake all aspects of staff management including monitoring and addressing quality standards. Ensure systems of management control are operating in order that work is performed efficiently, effectively and safely.
- Ensure staff are recruited, retained and developed to fulfil their potential. This includes creating an environment where Innovators can successfully achieve professional career path goals.
- Direct and prioritize the workload of subordinate personnel.
- Conduct weekly department meetings to identify and manage key issues.
- Act as a coach, leader, mentor, and facilitator with technical employees; serve as a knowledge resource for others.
- Identify, promote and support relevant training programs for team members.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work in a high stress, multiple priority job.
- Entrepreneurial vision with ability to create applicable business plans.
- Proven ability to lead a progressive IT / engineering group.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects and motivate professional staff.
- Demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies.
- Well developed, professional written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team.
- Ability to inspire and lead effectively.
- Ability to effectively establish rapport and present information to staff.
- Excellent prioritization and multitasking skills.
- Exceptional organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Effectively lead the department making critical support and customer decisions when required.
- Excellent deductive reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Punctual, respectful, positive and cordial attitude
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
- Minimum 8-year experience in Telecommunications Industry.
- Minimum 3-year experience with ISP networks.
- Minimum 5 years at Managerial level
- Clean police record.
Extensive knowledge of the following technical areas, preferably endorsed by industry certification:
- OSS/BSS systems
- ITIL and Telco standards
- Understand the latest 3GPP wireless communication standards and systems
- 5G and 4G network architecture specifically focused on radio access network
- Understanding of Radio Resource Management functionalities (e.g. Handover control, Admission controls, capacity management, etc.)
- 4G/5G LTE Call Processing experience
- OSI model and network routing principals
- FTTH technologies
- HVAC and power solutions
- VoIP technologies
- Microwave PTP and PTMP technologies
- VSAT technologies
- IPTV / OTT
- Structured cable systems
- Postgraduate qualification (eg Masters of Business Administration)
- International experience